Household food wastage in Albania: causes, extent and implications
Food waste (FW) is a very serious issue not only in ethical and social terms, but also given its economic and environmental impacts (cf. resource wastage and depletion). Recent data show that more than half of food wastage in the European Union is generated in households. FW is unfortunately not well addressed in Albania. For this reason, an exploratory online survey was carried out in the period August–November 2016 with 185 Albanians to analyse the causes, extent and implications of household food wastage in Albania. Most of the respondents have a high education level, which might have affected the survey’s outcomes. Nevertheless, results showed that awareness about negative impacts of FW is still low. Alongside, although FW seems high, few public initiatives and campaigns are put in place to tackle the issue. Therefore, it’s time to move towards a comprehensive strategy that raises awareness on FW negative impacts in the Albanian society and increases knowledge on food purchase management, consumption habits and related food storage.
2. Abouabdillah A., Capone R., El Youssfi L., Debs P., Harraq A., El Bilali H., et al. (2015). Household food waste in Morocco: An exploratory survey. Book of Proceedings of the VI International Scientific Agriculture Symposium “Agrosym 2015”, Jahorina, Bosnia and Herzegovina; pp. 1353-1360.
3. Agroweb (2016). Food is the New Gold - Don’t waste it. Retrieved on April 14, 2017 from: http://agroweb.org/?id=10&l=930&ln=en.
4. Alcani M., Dorri A., Hoxha A. (2010): Management of municipal solid waste in Tirana: Problems and challenges. Tehnicki Vjesnik 17(4): 545-551.
5. Ali Arous S., Capone R., Debs P., Haddadi Y., El Bilali H., Bottalico F. and Hamidouche M. (2017). Exploring household food waste issue in Algeria. AgroFor International Journal 2: 55-67. https://doi.org/10.7251/AGRENG1701055A
6. Alushllari M., Dhoqina P., Mico S., Civici N., Deda A., Kacani L. (2019). Hazardous quotient factor of lead in soil around industrial waste. AIP Conference Proceedings, art. no. 130023. DOI: 10.1063/1.5091308
7. Aschemann-Witzel J. (2018). Helping You to Waste Less? Consumer Acceptance of Food Marketing Offers Targeted to Food-Related Lifestyle Segments of Consumers. Journal of Food Products Marketing 24 (5): 522-538. DOI: 10.1080/10454446.2018.1472693
8. BCFN (2012). Food waste: causes, impacts and proposals. Barilla Centre for Food & Nutrition (BCFN), Parma (Italy).
9. Brears R. (2015). The circular economy and the water-food nexus. Future of Food: Journal on Food, Agriculture and Society 3(2): 53-59.
10. Beretta C., Stoessel F., Baier U., Hellweg S. (2013). Quantifying food losses and the potential for reduction in Switzerland. Waste Manag. 33: 764–773.
11. Berjan, S., Capone, R., Debs, P., El Bilali, H. (2018). Food Losses and Waste: A Global Overview with a Focus on Near East and North Africa Region. International Journal of Agricultural Management and Development, 8(1), 1-16.
12. BIO Intelligence Service (2013). Modelling of Milestones for achieving Resource Efficiency - Turning Milestones into Quantified Objectives: Food waste. Prepared for the European Commission, DG Environment, Brussels.
13. BIAC [Business and Industry Advisory Committee] (2013). BIAC perspectives on private sector solutions to food waste and loss. https://www.oecd.org/site/agrfcn/BIAC Perspectives on Private Sector Solutions to Food Waste and Loss.pdf
14. Bygrave K., Rogers D., Eisenhauer P., Bruggemann N., Timmermans T., Cseh B., Lopez-i-Gelats F. and Díaz-Ruiz R. (2017). Frameworks for Action - Selection process. REFRESH (Resource Efficient Food and Drink for the Entire Supply Chain) project. https://eu-refresh.org/sites/default/files/D2_3_FA%20Selection%20Process%20FINAL.pdf
15. Canali M., Östergren K., Amani P., Aramyan L., Sijtsema S., Korhonen O., Silvennoinen K., Moates G., Waldron K., O’Connor C. (2014). Drivers of current food waste generation, threats of future increase and opportunities for reduction, Report of FUSIONS project. Retrieved on April 15, 2017 from: www.eu-fusions.org/index.php/download?download=111:drivers-of-current-food-waste-generation-threats-of-future-increase-and-opportunities-for-reduction.
16. Capone R., Bennett A., Debs P., Bucatariu C.A., El Bilali H., Smolak J., Lee W.T.K., Bottalico F., Diei-Ouadi Y. and Toppe J. (2016). Food losses and waste: global overview from a Mediterranean perspective. In “Zero waste in the Mediterranean: Natural resources, food and knowledge”. CIHEAM and FAO (Ed.), pp. 193-242. Presses des Sciences Po, Paris.
17. Chapagain A. and James K. (2013). Accounting for the impact of food waste on water resources and climate change. In “Food industry wastes: assessment and recuperation of commodities”. M. Kosseva and C. Webb (Ed.), pp. 217-236. Elsevier. Available at http://doi.org/10.1016/B978-0-12-391921-2.00012-3 (accessed March 6, 2016).
18. Charbel L., Capone R., Grizi L., Debs P., Khalife D., El Bilali H. and Bottalico F. (2016). Preliminary insights on household food wastage in Lebanon. Journal of Food Security 4: 131-137. http://pubs.sciepub.com/jfs/4/6/2
19. Czarniawska B. and Löfgren O. (2013). Coping with excess: how organizations, communities and individuals manage overflows. Edward Elgar. Cheltenham, UK.
20. De Jong M.G., Pieters R., Fox J.P. (2010). Reducing social desirability bias through item randomized response: An application to measure underreported desires. J Mark Res. 47(1): 14-27.
21. Di Terlizzi B., Van Otterdijk R., Dragotta A., Pink P. and El Bilali H. (2016). Innovation for the reduction of food losses and waste. In “Zero waste in the Mediterranean: Natural resources, food and knowledge”. CIHEAM and FAO (Ed.), pp. 281-301. Presses des Sciences Po, Paris.
22. EC (2015). Closing the loop - An EU action plan for the Circular Economy. European Commission, Brussels, 2.12.2015 COM(2015) 614 final. Retrieved on March 10, 2017 from: http://eur-lex.europa.eu/resource.html?uri=cellar:8a8ef5e8-99a0-11e5-b3b7-01aa75ed71a1.0012.02/DOC_1&format=PDF.
23. EC [European Commission] (2018). Commission staff working document: Montenegro 2018 Report. Strasbourg, France. https://ec.europa.eu/neighbourhood-enlargement/sites/near/files/20180417-montenegro-report.pdf
24. EC [European Commission] (2011). Roadmap to a Resource Efficient Europe. Brussels. https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/PDF/?uri=CELEX:52011DC0571&from=EN
25. El Bilali H. (2018). Research on food losses and waste in North Africa. The North African Journal of Food and Nutrition Research 2(3): 51-57.
26. Elmenofi A.G.G., Capone R., Waked S., Debs P., Bottalico F. and El Bilali H. (2015). An exploratory survey on household food waste in Egypt. Book of Proceedings of the VI International Scientific Agriculture Symposium “Agrosym 2015”, Jahorina, Bosnia and Herzegovina; pp. 1298-1304.
27. Etikan, I., Musa, S. A., & Alkassim, R. S. (2016). Comparison of convenience sampling and purposive sampling. American Journal of Theoretical and Applied Statistics, 5(1), 1-4.
28. Eunomia Research & Consulting Ltd (2017). A Comprehensive Assessment of the Current Waste Management Situation in South East Europe and Future Perspectives for the Sector Including Options for Regional Co-operation in Recycling of Electric and Electronic Waste. Task 1: National Waste Assessment and Roadmap for Improving Waste Management in Montenegro. Report for DG Environment of the European Commission.http://ec.europa.eu/environment/enlarg/pdf/pilot%20waste/Montenegro_en.pdf
29. European Food Banks Federation (2018). Food Bank Albania raises money in a playful way. Retrieved on August 13, 2019 from: https://www.eurofoodbank.org/en/newsletters/2018-12-12-food-bank-albania-raises-money-in-a-playful-way
30. Evans D. (2011). Beyond the throwaway society: ordinary domestic practice and a sociological approach to household food waste. Sociology 46(1): 41-56.
31. FAO (2011). Global food losses and food waste – Extent, causes and prevention. Rome, Italy. www.fao.org/docrep/014/mb060e/mb060e00.pdf
32. FAO (2013). Food wastage footprint: impacts on natural resources. Rome. Retrieved on January 8, 2017 from: http://www.fao.org/docrep/018/i3347e/i3347e.pdf
33. FAO (2014). Food Wastage Footprint: Full-Cost Accounting - Final Report. Rome.
34. FAO (2015). Food wastage footprint & climate change. FAO, Rome. Retrieved on February 11, 2017 from: http://www.fao.org/3/a-bb144e.pdf.
35. FAO (2015a). Food Wastage Footprint & Climate Change. Rome.
36. FAO (2017). The future of food and agriculture – Trends and challenges. Rome, Italy. http://www.fao.org/3/a-i6583e.pdf
37. Food Bank Albania (2016). Solidariteti per ushqim. Retrieved on March 20, 2017 from: http://foodbank.al.
38. Food Bank Albania (2019a). Who We Are. Retrieved on August 12, 2019 from: https://foodbank.al/en/who-we-are
39. Food Bank Albania (2019b). Celebrating 100,000 kg food distributed in 2018. Retrieved on August 12, 2019 from: https://foodbank.al
40. Galli A., Iha K., Halle M., El Bilali H., Grunewald N., Eaton D., Capone R., Debs Ph., Bottalico F., (2016). Mediterranean countries food consumption and sourcing patterns: An ecological footprint viewpoint. Science of the Total Environment 578: 383–391.
41. Gaiani S., Caldeira S., Adorno V., Segrè A., Vittuari M. (2018). Food wasters: Profiling consumers’ attitude to waste food in Italy. Waste Management 72: 17-24. DOI: 10.1016/j.wasman.2017.11.012
42. Göbel C., Langen N., Blumenthal A., Teitscheid P., Ritter, G. (2015). Cutting Food Waste through Cooperation along the Food Supply Chain. Sustainability 7: 1429–1445.
43. Graham-Rowe E., Jessop D.C. and Sparks P. (2014). Identifying motivations and barriers to minimising household food waste. Resources Conservation and Recycling 84: 15-23
44. Grizetti B., Pretato U., Lassaletta L., Billen G., Garnier J. (2013). The contribution of food waste to global and European nitrogen pollution. Environmental Science & Policy 33: 186-195. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.envsci.2013.05.013
45. Hall K.D., Guo J., Dore M., Chow C.C. (2009). The Progressive Increase of Food Waste in America and Its Environmental Impact. PLoS ONE 4(11): e7940. DOI:10.1371/journal.pone.0007940
46. HLPE (2014). Food Losses and Waste in the Context of Sustainable Food Systems. Report of the High Level Panel of Experts on Food Security and Nutrition (HLPE), Rome. Retrieved on April 10, 2016 from: www.fao.org/3/a-i3901e.pdf.
47. Hodges R.J., Buzby J.C. and Bennett B. (2010). Postharvest losses and waste in developed and less developed countries: opportunities to improve resource use. Journal of Agricultural Science 149: 37-45. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0021859610000936
48. Institution of Mechanical Engineers-UK (2013). Global food, waste not, want not. London. Retrieved on January 16, 2015 from: http://www.imeche.org/Libraries/Reports/IMechE_Global_Food_Report.sflb.ashx.
49. Jereme I.A., Abdul Talib B., Siwar C. and Ara Begum R. (2013). Household food consumption and disposal behaviour in Malaysia. Social Sciences 8: 533-539.
50. Jörissen, J., Priefer, C., & Bräutigam, K. R. (2015). Food waste generation at household level: results of a survey among employees of two European research centers in Italy and Germany. Sustainability, 7(3), 2695-2715.
51. Kambo A., Keco R., Tomori I. (2017a). An empirical investigation of the determinants of food waste generation in urban area at household level in Albania. International Journal of Economics, Commerce and Management 5(5): 487-497.
52. Kambo A., Keco R., Tomorri I. (2017b). Pre-shopping activities and their influence on amount of food waste generated at household level in urban area of Albania: an econometric approach. International Journal of Economics, Commerce and Management 5(6): 440 – 453.
53. Kummu M., De Moel H., Porkka M., Siebert S., Varis O., Ward P.J. (2012). Lost food, wasted resources: global food supply chain losses and their impacts on freshwater, cropland and fertilizer use. Science of the Total Environment, 438: 477-489. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scitotenv.2012.08.092
54. Last Minute Market (2014): Last Minute Market - Trasformare lo spreco in risorse. Last Minute Market S.r.l., Bologna, Italy. Retrieved on February 10, 2015 from: http://www.lastminutemarket.it.
55. Lebersorger S. and Schneider F. (2011). Discussion on the methodology for determining food waste in household waste composition studies. Waste Manag. 31: 1924-1933.
56. Lipinski B., Hanson C., Lomax J., Kitinoja L., Waite R., Searchinger T. (2013). Reducing Food Loss and Waste. Working Paper, Instalment 2 of Creating a Sustainable Food Future. World Resources Institute, Washington, DC. Retrieved on April 14, 2017 from: http://www.worldresourcesreport.org.
57. McHugh, M. L. (2013). The chi-square test of independence. Biochemia Medica, 23(2), 143-149.
58. Mondéjar-Jiménez J.A., Ferrari G., Secondi L. and Principato L. (2016). From the table to waste: An exploratory study on behaviour towards food waste of Spanish and Italian youths. Journal of Cleaner Production 138: 8-18.
59. Monier V., Mudgal Sh., Escalon V. et al. (2011). Preparatory study on food waste across EU 27. Technical Report, 2010 – 054, October 2010, Brussels, European Commission (DG ENV). Retrieved on March 12, 2015 from: http://ec.europa.eu/environment/eussd/pdf/bio_foodwaste_report.pdf.
60. Neff R.A., Spiker M.L. and Truant P.L. (2015). Wasted Food: US Consumers’ Reported Awareness, Attitudes, and Behaviors. PloS one 10(6): e0127881.
61. NRDC (2013). The dating game: how confusing food date labels lead to food waste in America. Harvard Food Law and Policy Clinic and the Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC), NY, USA. http://www.nrdc.org/food/files/dating-game-report.pdf
62. NSW-EPA (2012). Food Waste Avoidance Benchmark Study. State of
New South Wales (NSW) - Environment Protection Authority
Retrieved on February 15, 2016 from: http://www.frankston.vic.gov.au/files/34d7963e-24ab-455b-a1f5-a22300d89be2/Love_food_hate_waste.pdf.
63. OECD and FAO (2015). OECD-FAO Agricultural outlook 2015. OECD Publishing, Paris, France. http://dx.doi.org/10.1787/agr_outlook-2015-en
64. Osmani M. and Kambo A. (2018). Food Waste Factors of Urban Albanian Consumers – A Multinomial Econometric Approach. European Scientific Journal 14(3): 11-30.
65. Parfitt J., Barthel M. and Macnaughton S. (2010). Food waste within the supply chains: quantification and potential for change to 2050. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London B: Biological Sciences 365: 3065–3081. https://doi.org/10.1098/rstb.2010.0126
66. Principato L. (2018). Food Waste at Consumer Level: A Comprehensive Literature Review. SpringerBriefs in Environmental Science, Springer. ISBN 978-3-319-78887-6.
67. Principato L., Secondi L. and Pratesi C.A. (2015). Reducing food waste: an investigation on the behaviour of Italian youths. British Food Journal 117(2): 731-748. https://doi.org/10.1108/BFJ-10-2013-0314
68. Quested T.E., Marsh E., Stunell D. and Parry A.D. (2013). Spaghetti soup: The complex world of food waste behaviours. Resources, Conservation and Recycling 79: 43-51. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.resconrec.2013.04.011
69. Rutten M.M. (2013). What economic theory tells us about the impacts of reducing food losses and/or waste: Implications for research, policy and practice. Agriculture & Food Security 2:1-13. https://doi.org/10.1186/2048-7010-2-13
70. Salihoglu G., Salihoglu N.K., Ucaroglu S., Banar M. (2018). Food loss and waste management in Turkey. Bioresource Technology 248: 88-99. DOI: 10.1016/j.biortech.2017.06.083
71. Sassi K., Capone R., Abid G., Debs P., El Bilali H., Daaloul Bouacha O., et al. (2016). Food wastage by Tunisian households. AgroFor International Journal 1: 172-181. https://doi.org/10.7251/agreng1601172s
72. Schanes K., Dobernig K., Gözet B. (2018). Food waste matters - A systematic review of household food waste practices and their policy implications. Journal of Cleaner Production 182: 978-991. DOI: 10.1016/j.jclepro.2018.02.030
73. Schmidt K. and Matthies E. (2018). Where to start ﬁghting the food waste problem? Identifying most promising entry points for intervention programs to reduce household food waste and overconsumption of food. Resources, Conservation and Recycling 139: 1-14. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.resconrec.2018.07.023
74. Secondi L., Principato L. and Laureti T. (2015). Household food waste behaviour in EU-27 countries: A multilevel analysis. Food Policy 56: 25-40. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodpol.2015.07.007
75. Shafiee-Jood M. and Cai X. (2016). Reducing Food Loss and Waste to Enhance Food Security and Environmental Sustainability. Environmental Science and Technology 50(16): 8432-8443. DOI: 10.1021/acs.est.6b01993.
76. Silvennoinen K., Juha-Matti K., Hanna H., Lotta H., Reinikainen A. (2014). Food waste volume and composition in Finnish households. British Food Journal 116(6): 1058 – 1068. http://dx.doi.org/10.1108/BFJ-12-2012-0311
77. Simunek J., Derflerova-Brazdova Z. and Vitu K. (2015). Food wasting: A study among Central European four-member families. International Food Research Journal 22(6): 2679-2683.
78. Samangooei M., Sassi P, Lack A. (2016). Soil-less systems vs. soil-based systems for cultivating edible plants on buildings in relation to the contribution towards sustainable cities. Future of Food: Journal on Food, Agriculture and Society, 4(2): 24-39
79. Smil V. (2004). Improving efficiency and reducing waste in our food system. Environmental Sciences 1:17-26. http://dx.doi.org/10.1076/evms.22.214.171.12466
80. Stancu, V., Haugaard, P., & Lähteenmäki, L. (2016). Determinants of consumer food waste behaviour: Two routes to food waste. Appetite, 96, 7-17.
81. Stenmarck A., Jensen C., Quested T., Moates G. (2016). Estimates of European food waste levels. FUSIONS project (Reducing food waste through social innovation). Retrieved on March 11, 2017 from: http://www.eu-fusions.org/phocadownload/Publications/Estimates%20of%20European%20food%20waste%20levels.pdf.
82. Stuart T. (2009). Waste: uncovering the global food scandal. Penguin W.W. Norton Co. London, UK.
83. TEEB (The Economics of Ecosystems and Biodiversity) (2018). Measuring what matters in agriculture and food systems: a synthesis of the results and recommendations of TEEB for Agriculture and Food’s Scientific and Economic Foundations report. UN Environment, Geneva.
84. UN (2015). Transforming our world: the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development. Resolution adopted by the General Assembly on 25 September 2015. Retrieved on April 12, 2017 from: http://www.un.org/ga/search/view_doc.asp?symbol=A/RES/70/1&Lang=E.
85. United Nations – Albania (2017). Tirana among cities that through local policies, are rising up to eradicate hunger and eliminate food waste. Retrieved on August 12, 2019 from: http://www.un.org.al/news/tirana-among-cities-through-local-policies-are-rising-eradicate-hunger-and-eliminate-food-waste
86. von Kameke C. and Fischer D. (2018). Preventing household food waste via nudging: An exploration of consumer perceptions. Journal of Cleaner Production 184: 32-40. DOI: 10.1016/j.jclepro.2018.02.131
87. Venkat K. (2012). The climate change and economic impacts of food waste in the United States. International Journal on Food System Dynamics 2: 431-446.
88. Ventour L. (2008). Food Waste Report - The Food We Waste. Waste & Resources Action Programme (WRAP), Banbury (UK).
89. Vozga I., Kaçani J., Kasemi V. (2013). State of the art of recycling in Albania. Metalurgia International 18(SPEC.1): 140-143.
90. Williams H., Wikström F., Otterbring T., Löfgren M. and Gustafsson A. (2012). Reasons for household food waste with special attention to packaging. J. Clean. Prod. 24: 141-148.
91. World Bank (2019). World Bank Open Data – GDP per capita. Retrieved on August 16, 2019 from: https://data.worldbank.org/indicator/NY.GDP.PCAP.CD
92. WRAP (2011). The Water and Carbon Footprint of Household Food and Drink Waste in the UK. Banbury, UK.
93. Yildirim H., Capone R., Karanlik A., Bottalico F., Debs P. and El Bilali H. (2016). Food Wastage in Turkey: An Exploratory Survey on Household Food Waste. Journal of Food and Nutrition Research 4: 483-489. DOI: 10.12691/jfnr-4-8-1.